Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Alberta Floods...

Peacock in 2012 at the Calgary Zoo

I would just like to say that my heart and prayers go out to everyone in Alberta who have been affected by the horrific flooding we've been experiencing. I am one of the lucky ones and live in a higher area. So many people and animals had to evacuate. Also praying for the people in Saskatchewan and British Colombia who are getting some flooding of their and the people all over the world who have been suffering from floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and etc.

I went to the Calgary Zoo the last 2 years and had such a wonderful time, both times. I am saddened to hear that it was hit so hard, along with so many other beautiful places, homes, and businesses in Alberta. And I am praying that a lot of the wildlife were ok too.

The below pictures were shared on Facebook by the Calgary Zoo, copyright belongs to them. The below info I have found on various news websites.

This is the African Savannah building, at the back it housed 2 giraffes, who had to be rescued from water up to their bellies. They are in danger of dying from the cold and the stress. If you know me I LOVE giraffes. In the front it had 2 hippos, 1 almost escaped into the river. It also had Meerkats, and porcupines, red river hogs and a few other animals. 



Looking towards the elephant enclosure which had 3 females and a male last time I was there I think.



Butterfly Gardens



Cleanup has begun.



UPDATE ON SOME OF THE ANIMALS

According to the Calgary Sun... Two peacocks died, as did about 140 tilapia fish in the hippo tank. To read more from their article on the Calgary Sun Website, click here.

In reply to someone asking if the hippos & giraffes were going to be ok on their facebook page, a Calgary Zoo staff member said "The hippos are doing quite well, and though the giraffes are nervous animals and easily stressed, they were out in the sun today and are doing better."

06/25/13 - Male giraffe Nebo peeking through the trees at staff this morning as he enjoyed some sun in the outdoor giraffe yard.



06/24/2013 - A look at our elephants in their enclosure, enjoying the sunshine, despite the soggy ground.


CALGARY ZOO LINKS

Want to follow the progress of the zoo and the animals, here are a few links.

4 comments:

  1. Pam, this is so sad, but I'm happy things are getting back to normal. I know it will take a long time, for everything to be just right, but as long as the animals are doing well, that's the main thing! I am sorry for the animals that died! Take Care ;o) Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stacy, it sure is. I think the staff did a wonderful job rescuing the animals. It could have been so much worse! I just checked and the giraffes and hippos seem to be doing ok, so praying they will be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was crazy worried about the animals. I think it's amazing that not more was lost, people or animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Christine, could have been so much worse. Hope everyone can recover and rebuild!

    ReplyDelete